QAMAR ZAMAN Charity is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-political, and non-partisan organization. Its establishment was a brainchild of elder Somali nationals in overseas, whom involved in social services and community development for a long period of time. With their experience and initiatives, they commenced to study and the humanitarian catastrophe of the country, which were direct results of the prolonged civil war and ensuing plight.
Those manmade and natural calamities has uprooted all basic amenities, livelihood and sustainability of the society, due to the fact that all sectors of social services, food security, safety and security, education and healthcare systems and infrastructure as well as personal properties were destroyed.
The aforementioned crises have affected considerable portions of the society by having inefficient school, poor environmental conditions, low income, high rate of unemployed youth and men, scarcity of health centers, lack of sufficient trained medical staff, significant Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and increased number of street children. Therefore, in the absence of central government to address those issues, QAMAR ZAMAN Charity Organization has stepped in to respond to those challenges in order to assist the beleaguered communities in various Somaliland regions.
The Mission Statement
QAMAR ZAMAN Charity Organization was established on February 08, 2006 by a group of community development workers in order to alleviate humanitarian suffering both nomadic and urban communities throughout Somaliland regions. Thus contribute to the sustainability and stability of Somali society whom were primarily yearning for lasting peace in decades.
Vision and Core Values
QAMAR ZAMAN is committed:
- Providing support that will have long term positive impact to environment and community.
- Implementing projects based on to the needs of the society.
- Encouraging communities to collaborate with QAMAR ZAMAN in activities to be implemented in their locality.
- Ensuring that rural or urban residents have access to the environmental resource they need.
- Empowering low level groups of the community that have no sufficient access to their basic needs.
- Establishing connection and relationship among diversity levels of the people to be mutual and support self-help and provide aid those struggling to make the ends meet.
- Working for rehabilitation, education and health for the less fortunate members of the society.
The objectives of the organization are:
- Encourage, support, and seek funding for the local initiatives of the communities in six Somaliland regions.
- Mobilization of support for the grassroots development projects and programmes.
- Play a major role on advocacy and empowerment of action plans for community development with the help of civil society and local organizations.
- Cooperate and facilitate Aid Agencies, UN Agencies and International relief NGOs on community development activities.
- Develop networking and partnership efforts with other UN Agencies, International Aid agencies and other NGOs in and outside Somaliland.
- Facilitate and organize workshops and training seminars to promote community awareness of environmental and sustainable human development issues.
- Coordinate with other humanitarian organization to avoid overlapping activities in given target area.
- Assist and promote environmental conservation activities, encourage the introduction of soil conservation and land management and utilization.
- Identify veterinary drug needs and promote animal health care to improve productivity and market competitiveness.
- Introduce mixed farming systems where applicable in the agro-pastoralists settlement areas and livestock.
- Digging wells, construction cisterns and earth dams to provide clean water.
Qamar Zaman Charity Organization has chosen to help the follow groups:
- Poor and vulnerable households in urban and rural
- IDPs and returnees both in cities and urban
- Orphans and street children
- Peasants and farmers
The main reason that Qamar Zaman Charity Organization has chosen the above stated groups is each of that either they do not get sufficient support, or almost forgotten.
QAMAR ZAMAN Charity Organization is structured as the following:
- Board of Directors
- Management Team
- Executive Director
- Administration & Finance Manager
- Program Coordinator
- Project Officer
- ICT Intern